An "I can't believe I rode in that" kind of ride...
Because of the hurricane that is currently causing evacuations and chaos up and down the east coast, weather here has been less than stellar. I'm talking winds strong enough to blow my SUV around, no sunshine, and intermittent rain. We might even get some snow tomorrow, which would be fab! This is where the "I can't believe I rode" comes in. Limerick had not been worked since Friday, it was freezing and windy as hell, I was by myself, and there were cows in the field directly next to the ring. Combine that with the horses in a bordering field galloping around and carrying on, and I was not so sure that we would get anything accomplished, if I even managed to stay on. Here is where my pony, the saint, came to the rescue.
The beginning of our ride was a little bit iffy, as the cows started freaking out and MOOOOOINNNNGGGG right as I got on, which conveniently coincided with the carryings-on in the back field. Limerick stood as I mounted and then immediately turned towards the galloping horses, kind of jolted forward, and then when I pulled back, he started jigging. However, as soon as I regained his attention and started repeating "WOAH," he chilled out and mostly just snorted for a few more laps. When I decided that he wasn't going to be a total freak, we actually got to work and started walking/trotting a trot pole. It was pretty cold and my nose would not stop running, so we cantered both directions and I tried to stay in two-point for as long as possible, and then I called it a day. Overall, it was a very successful ride and I was happy with the Lims. I also got to use his quarter sheet for the first time, so I was thrilled about that! It took me a while to figure out how I wanted it, but I determined that the best arrangement is to put it between the flaps of my saddle. Today was a case of extreme wind though, so it was blowing around quite a bit, which Limerick luckily did not seem to notice. Now for some pictures from my ride on Friday, which involved hacking around in the big field behind the barn... I cantered in an open field for the first time, and it was awesome :)!
the location of my Friday ride
LIMMERS' EARS
The mass exodus of cows that so conveniently occurred during my ride on Friday...
Finally, a lovely video of the mass cow exodus that took place during my ride... must watch with sound to get the full effect:
Congrats on cantering your pony in a big open field (and sticking it out in the weather yesterday). I wish I had a big field to do that but it's mostly wooded around here
Thanks, I was really proud of myself for making that step. I've always been perfectly fine with walking and trotting in the open, even by myself, but cantering for some reason scared me... it turned out really well :)
Haha that's not all that surprising, although I'm sorta shocked that anything bothers Cuna! Limerick isn't normally concerned by the cows, but they were making noises that suggested they were in great danger, and Lim of course thought that he was next on the list to be eaten, etc.
Oh Limmy... I love that video. Being a bad self centered friend I didn't watch it completely when you sent it Friday. He was a good guy but so transfixed by the cows!
haha that video was after the mini meltdown we had in the field, but both of us were unscathed and came out of it with a better understanding... I'm glad I made him go up into the arena and watch the cows move. I think it was good for his little pony brain and now they don't bother him at all!
Well done on braving the elements for your spin yesterday!
ReplyDeleteSounds like yourself & Lim are coming on in leaps and bounds! :D
thank you! It wasn't actually that bad, but I'm not sure I would have stuck it out had it been raining...
DeleteCongrats on cantering your pony in a big open field (and sticking it out in the weather yesterday). I wish I had a big field to do that but it's mostly wooded around here
ReplyDeleteThanks, I was really proud of myself for making that step. I've always been perfectly fine with walking and trotting in the open, even by myself, but cantering for some reason scared me... it turned out really well :)
DeleteCows are fun! We have a herd next to the arena. They're no where near as alarming as the small herd of horses though. Go figure.
ReplyDeleteSounds like a good time.
Haha that's not all that surprising, although I'm sorta shocked that anything bothers Cuna! Limerick isn't normally concerned by the cows, but they were making noises that suggested they were in great danger, and Lim of course thought that he was next on the list to be eaten, etc.
DeleteOh Limmy... I love that video. Being a bad self centered friend I didn't watch it completely when you sent it Friday. He was a good guy but so transfixed by the cows!
ReplyDeletehaha that video was after the mini meltdown we had in the field, but both of us were unscathed and came out of it with a better understanding... I'm glad I made him go up into the arena and watch the cows move. I think it was good for his little pony brain and now they don't bother him at all!
Delete